Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sickness Rules Our House

Saturday night we put Sam down and we noticed something strange. Usually as I bathe him and then as we read stories, Sam likes to roll around on the bed and perhaps recite part of the story along with us (for instance, last week when we were reading Sam Loves Kisses, he had to roll over and kiss me for every type of kiss mentioned in the book). But Saturday night he was strangely sedate. When he started waking up every 30 minutes screaming, we knew something was wrong. When we woke up in the middle of the night burning hot, we started pumping the drugs into him.

Turns out that Sam has the flu. Monday I postponed my morning class and stayed home with him. He sat on my lap, reading books or watching TV until he couldn't hold his eyes open anymore and fell asleep on the couch. He did the same thing for Joy yesterday. Joy and I so far have not succumbed to Sam's sickness, but we are washing our hands raw and disinfecting everything Sam touches. As you can imagine, it's been an intense few days at our house.

I could tell things were getting better, though, when he cried out about 4:00 in the morning, "Dada! It's time to get up!" He has missed too much playtime with this sickness and as he comes out of this sickness, I can tell we're going to have to make up for lost time.

No comments: