Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Simpsons Movie: An MPAA Guide

Last night, after Sam was in bed, Joy and I sat down to watch The Simpsons Movie. Joy was bustling about, so I watched the previews and got the movie cued to the opening. As I was wading through all the material, I noticed the MPAA warning for the movie:

Rated PG-13 for irreverent humor throughout

I've always enjoyed the MPAA ratings for their reasons. For instance, never mind that there is a bit of cussing and and violence and (cartoon) nudity in The Simpsons Movie. No, the MPAA is worried that young children and their parents need to know that the movie makes fun of everything from McDonald's type restaurants to the EPA (and the DVD gets its dig in at the EPA from the very beginning). Isn't that kinda what The Simpsons are known for and haven't they been around for 20 years?

I love the unintentional humor of the MPAA so much, that when I come across a particularly wonderful warning, I'll post it here for your enjoyment. Any suggestions for future posts are welcome as well through the comments.

No comments: