Thursday, December 6, 2007

Kansas City Curse

Just a moment of jubilation - I finished my last class of the semester today! Sure, I still have stacks of grading and a final to give, but I'm done traipsing to class and continually writing lectures.

Most importantly, I survived what I call the Kansas City Curse on my teaching. For the past three years, it has snowed on the last day of class, usually so bad that classes are canceled and I have to create new and interesting ways to deliver my last lectures. The past two years, music history has been a Tuesday/Thursday class, which meant it always got canceled. The weather must have something against Handel's Messiah. Perhaps the sky is tired of hearing that "Every Valley Shall Be Exalted." In any event, I jokingly told my music history class this year that they were special, because they met on Mondays and Wednesday, they were hearing a lecture I had never given before in Kansas City. My students laughed and declared that they shouldn't hear it this year just so I didn't break my streak.

Last night I went to bed convinced that because it was so warm yesterday, we were in the clear as far as snow as concerned.

I was wrong.

About 10:00 this morning, fat flakes began falling and the students began stopping by my office, e-mailing, and calling, all wanting to know if class would still happen. Fortunately, we only got about an inch, so I didn't have to finagle a new way for students to deliver presentations. But as far as snow on the last day is concerned, I'm still 3 for 3. We'll see what happens next year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

could you like move to conway briefly and bring your steak with you because my kids are really jonesing for some snow the can actually play in this year.