Friday, July 11, 2008

My Other Son is Huge

This lack of sleep thing has kept me from almost all pursuits this past week except for going back to work (though my students might have appreciated if no sleep had kept me away from class as well). It also can evidently harm your growth, as a new large study out of India has shown. I try to tell this to Noah at 1:00 in the morning when we're having a heart to heart because he won't go to sleep. "Noah," I say, "you're a younger brother which means the best way to get back at your older brother for years of torment is to grow bigger than he."

Noah just blinks back at me, or makes his monkey face, or clicks his tongue. And then smiles as he refuses to go to sleep.

Still, I believed he would eventually come around to solid logic. Then, at his one-month well baby, his doctor ruined my reasoning. Noah dropped to 8 lbs 1 ounce after birth and was still 19 1/2 inches long. Yesterday he was 10 lbs, 4 ounces and 22 1/2 inches long. Obviously the lack of sleep isn't hurting him at all.

I see tough times when he's a teenager if he's already thwarting my logic.

No comments: