Saturday, April 14, 2007

Condiments: Protection Against Fussy Eating

Sam has discovered ketchup.

We've always known that he loves condiments. This is the boy who won't eat Mexican food unless it is smothered in sour cream. Actually, he'd eat any food drowning in sour cream. The sour cream fixation is so bad that we usually don't put the tub o' sour cream on the table because as soon as he sees it, nothing tastes good anymore.

Back to the story. Soon after returning from Arkansas, we were having potatoes. My son, who eats almost any and everything willingly, doesn't like potatoes of any kind. And these were tasty potatoes, all cut up and cooked in a little oil in the cast iron skillet with a bit of butter and a lot of Italian seasoning. He doesn't know what he's missing. But Sam being Sam, he was pushing them around his plate. Then, he noticed that Joy was dipping hers in this red substance. You could see the thought flit across Sam's face: "what is that? is it red sour cream?"

So I gave him a little dab on his plate.

I turned my head to attend to my own supper, and when I looked back, one potato was gone along with all the ketchup. Curious, I gave him a bit more and watched as he carefully dipped his potato in the ketchup, sucked off the delicious nectar, and then double-, triple-, and quadruple-dipped. If the potato hadn't fallen apart, one would have served for the entire meal.

I think Sam likes ketchup.

No comments: