Friday, April 13, 2007

We Share Everything Around Here

A week ago, Sam started school.

Half a week ago, Sam got sick.

This morning, my doctor confirmed that I'm sick.

Causation? Meh? Correlation? Enough of one for a quick post.

Sam's now 18-months, so we decided that social interaction beyond the kids in the backyard, and his church friends, and his Kindermusik friends was needed. Well, that and Joy needs time to teach. And think. And be herself. So, we enrolled Sam in our church's Parent's Day Out.

Sam loved every minute of his first day. He collected Easter Eggs, he ate hot dogs in honor of Baseball's opening day, he followed the big kids around on the playground, he even borrowed a new friend's illness and brought it home.

Last Wednesday and Thursday, Sam couldn't keep anything in him and was beyond lethargic. The boy who refuses to snuggle only wanted to be held. The boy who hates to go to sleep for fear of missing something drifted away while Joy rubbed his back. He was better by Friday and in full form on Saturday, but by Monday I wasn't feeling my best. I was lethargic, my muscles ached, I had a headache, and my throat was sore. Same symptoms as Sam? No, so for the first time this year I didn't pick this sickness up from my son.

But did I mention my throat was sore? Yes, the doctor confirmed this morning that I have Strep. An illness common in kids aged 5 to 15. Did Sam bring it home? Who knows, but let's hope that I don't spread it around. Some gifts are best not given.

3 comments:

laura gayle said...

I'm pretty happy that I wasn't sitting next to you at that luncheon. Of course we did walk over to the library together and talk for quite a bit...

Hope you feel better soon! Strep is the one thing I've never had. Yet. Yuuuck.

Andrew said...

I feel bad because I exposed all these people without knowing it. But I had never had it either, so now I know that 1000 little ninja stabbing you in the throat equals Strep. Or a really bad Jackie Chan movie.

Unknown said...

ohh get ready for the whole gambit and the more kids you get the more fun it all becomes. i am dealing with what is dragging into a 3 week ordeal. started with aches and general yuckiness, next week pink eye in both eyes, and now the last incklings of a cough that has been with me since the beginning.
have a good week.