Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Musicircus Redux

Just a quick report - the Musicircus last night was a triumphant success. Sitting in my spotlight at the prepared piano, I wasn't able to see any of the event, but I was washed with stray sounds that drifted in from other works down the hall. People moved freely about, lay underneath the piano on a large mattress, reclined on the cushy pillows we had strewn about, and stuck their head inside the piano to gaze at the preparations as they rang with my performance. Most notable to me were the children enthusiastically taking in the event. (except for the one child who inexplicably covered his ears while listening to the toy piano. I still haven't figured that one out.) They ran around, entranced by both the music and the freedom to move, dance, and experience a concert completely on their own terms.

Here's one example to give you an idea of the evening's atmosphere: While I was playing, someone came up and stood beside me while a friend took our picture. I have no idea who this person was, but if you're reading, I'd love a copy!

No comments: