Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Power of Possessives

Sam has discovered possessives.

This might not seem like such a big thing; we use possessives every day to define our world (and other people in relation to it), but for Sam it has become another tool in fighting to find his individuality.

This morning at breakfast Sam was taking a bit longer to eat than usual, so I hopped up to put away dishes and clean up the kitchen a bit. When I came back in to keep Sam company, I sat down in the chair nearest the kitchen. The chair happens to be the one Joy usually sits in.

"Mama's chair!" Sam exclaimed.

I wasn't sure what he said at first, so I asked him to repeat himself.

"Mama's chair!" he said again, pointing to where I sat. "This Dada's chair," he continued, jabbing his yogurt-covered finger at my usual seat.

Suitably chastened I moved over to my assigned seat. We're just waiting until everything in the house slowly becomes Sam's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's not when everything becomes Sam's but when everything in your house becomes May's and Pop's. That's what happened at our house anyway...

Misty