Monday, September 29, 2008

All the Right Moves

It really began last Wednesday night. Cold Stone Creamery was having a fundraiser and giving away free ice cream, so after supper we loaded up in the car and headed to our local store. We arrived during a lull, quickly grabbed our free ice cream cups, spoons, and napkins, and went to sit outside. Joy and I were talking and laughing at Noah who was flirting with everyone who walked by, so engrossed that we almost didn't notice the college-age student with the tight pants and low cut shirt walk by.

Sam, however, was a different story. He actually stopped licking his bowl and craned his neck to watch this young woman pass. Joy and I were a bit taken aback by this 13-year-old-boy behavior, but quickly forgot the incident until Saturday night.

Once a month, a large group of young families from my church gets together and has a potluck. The kids generally range in age from 3 months to 5 years and enjoy playing together. We've had a recent surge of babies in our congregation and many of those babies are just reaching one year old, which means they are mobile and like to play with the big kids. One little girl just had her first birthday last Thursday and was sitting happily in the living room floor when we were gathering up Sam and Noah, our leftover food, and all the paraphernalia that comes standard with modern babies. While we were giving our goodbyes, Sam drops down on all fours, crawls over to this little girl, takes her face in his hands, and plants a huge kiss right on her lips.

That's right, he's already putting the moves on younger and older women. We were so flabbergasted (and the company too polite for me to shout out "That's my boy!" as I was tempted) that we forgot the diaper bag in our rush to the door.

The next day, I received an e-mail from the girl's father jokingly asking what Sam's intentions were with his daughter. I calmly replied that I would offer Sam a position in my firm and an annual salary of 100 pounds to break off any relations with her. But if he's this bad at almost-3, think how he'll be at almost-13.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kid obviously has all the right genetic inheritance from the Riley and Granade sides! I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the story! Can you say "precocious"? That's the wonderful thing about being a grandparent--I can laugh with impunity, and no dire threats from May's eyes!

Pop

Etta said...

Believe me, it doesn't get any better. Jamie (5) is a "hair man" himself. Once day at Jason's Deli, we thought he was admiring a little girl about his age. Turned out though, he was watching her pre-teen sister with the long, curly hair. Michael is quite proud as well.