Sunday, May 25, 2008

P.S. It's a Movie

Since I already posted on the chances of Indiana Jones receiving tenure (next to nothing) I thought I should follow up with one of the more bizarre news stories I've read about the movie. It seems as though Russian Communist Party members are calling for a boycott of the movie in Russia. Why? Because it represents Western anti-Communist propaganda that distorts history, that's why.

Read that sentence again - Indiana Jones distorts history. The St Peterburg Communist Party chief Sergei Malinkovich is concerned about the movie because "In 1957 the Communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the US. Why should we agree to that sort of lie and let the West trick our youth?" I know our culture is not the most historically informed one on the world stage, but I doubt the movie will, as Andrei Andreyev has been quoted as saying, "provoke a new Cold War."

Want to know what might actually provoke a new Cold War? A Russian leader spreading the idea that the main goal of the United States is to destroy Russia. But maybe I just don't properly recognize the power of commercial art.

No comments: